Calling all writers and artists! Here is a list of competitions for writing and illustrating open to children aged 12 and under. The list will be updated as often as we can. (Note: most of these competitions will be open to Australian residents only.)
Some tips when it comes to entering competitions:
- Writing comps are a good way to hone your writing skills and to work to a deadline.
- If you don’t win, it doesn’t mean your work is bad—don’t lose heart, just keep at it!
- Many writing/art competitions have free entry for kids. If there IS an entry fee, check with your parent/guardian about whether it’s a reputable competition. (Some competitions ask you to pay large amounts of money to enter, or say it is free to enter but then want you to buy a book with all the ‘winners’ writing published. It’s usually a good idea to avoid those sorts of competitions.)
- Read all the entry conditions. And read them again! You don’t want to be disqualified for going over the word limit or missing the closing date.
- We list competitions here but we are not usually affiliated with those competitions and do not necessarily endorse them. You will need to check with a parent/guardian before entering.
Reading Australia’s Ann James Colouring Competition (Open during November 2016)
Ann James, the well-loved Australian illustrator has designed a series of special colouring sheets just for Reading Australia’s 3rd birthday. For the entire month of November, we will be releasing one exclusive colouring sheet each week for you and your classroom to enjoy.
Reading Australia would like to give you the chance to win your very own Ann James print for your classroom.
PRIZES: Winners will receive an Ann James print for your classroom, valued at $150. One winner will be selected from two categories: Foundation to Year 3, and Year 4 to Year 6. For the older students we’ve decided to make it more challenging by asking them to add a caption to go with their colouring sheet.
Wombat Books Illustration Challenge (Closes 28 February 2017)
Open to Australian school children aged 8 to 17. Well-known children’s author Aleesah Darlison has written a picture book text and students are invited to submit illustrations for spreads to illustrate the book.
PRIZES: Winners will have their work featured in the book (the book will be published in 2018), receive two free copies of the book and a $50 voucher for Wombat Books. One overall winner will also be selected to design the book’s cover and they will also receive a bonus $200 cash prize.