Write a Book Spine Poem!
Collect a number of books from your bookshelf and stack them in a pile. Read the titles aloud slowly, like a poem. You might want to change the order of a few of the books, or remove or add one or two books.
Here’s a short spine poem I constructed using books from my children’s bookshelves:
I went walking
All the way to WA
Good night, me
If you have your parents’ permission, we’d love to read your spine poems in the comments below — you don’t have to post a photo, just write out the titles like I have above. I promise to try to guess the authors of each book! Grownups are welcome to share poems, too. (Soup Blog is G-rated.)
Until the end of August we’ll have a new poetry challenge every Tuesday.
Read these earlier Poetry Challenges from the 2013 Soup Blog Poetry Festival. (You can still add your poems in the comments at each post if you like!)
- Tuesday Challenge—Limericks
- Tuesday Challenge—A five senses poem
- Tuesday Challenge—A list poem
- Tuesday Challenge—Magnetic poetry
- Tuesday Challenge—A calendar poem
- Tuesday Challenge—A shape poem
- Tuesday Challenge—A spine poem [you’re here!]