Roses are Blue by Sally Murphy, ill. Gabriel Evans, ISBN 9781922244376, Walker Books Australia
REVIEWED BY MATILDA, 8, WA
A review copy of this book was provided by the publisher.
This is a book about a girl called Amber who loves her mother but her mother has changed after an accident. Amber doesn’t want her mum coming to the Mothers Day party at school because she’s very embarrassed about her.
I really liked this book because at the start it made me feel very sad and then at the end I was happier. It was quite quick to read and had some interesting words.
The style of the drawings was the sort I like. They were black and white and there were lots of them. When you look at the pictures you can understand what’s happening in the story even better.
I would recommend Roses are Blue to my friends because it’s a change from the other sorts of books we read and it could be a true story.
This book would be good for ages 6 and older.
Matilda is one of our regular book reviewers. Her most recent review (if you don’t count this one) was of Meet Nellie. If YOU would like to send us a book review, check out our submission guidelines. Happy reading!
Matilda (8) reviewed Roses are Blue as part of Sally Murphy’s blog tour launching the book. We have one copy of this book to give away to an eager reader (yay! yay!).
HERE’S HOW TO ENTER:
Roses are Blue is Sally Murphy’s third verse novel. As well as nonfiction and fiction, Sally has had many poems published. You can read some of her recent poetry on the Poetry Tag blog.
1. Visit the Poetry Tag blog and check out the poems there.
2. Choose your favourite poem by Sally on the Poetry Tag site.
3. Email us and in 50 words or fewer let us know the poem you’ve chosen and why. Include your name and postal address. (If under 18 ask a parent or teacher to email your entry to us.)
Some fine print:
- Entries are open to adults and children. Children will need to ask a parent or teacher to email their entry to us.
- Entrants outside Australia welcome — but we will only post the book to an Australian address, so you’ll need to nominate an Australian address for us to post it to if you win.
- You may only enter this giveaway once.
- This giveaway ends 10am WST (that’s when it’s 10am in Perth, Western Australia) on Wednesday 6 August 2014.
- All entrants’ names will be put into a soup bowl and one name will be drawn out to be the winner.
- We will announce the winner on the blog within a week of notifying the winner.
- This competition is not open to immediate family members of Alphabet Soup employees.
- The prize includes one copy of Roses are Blue by Sally Murphy — mailed to one winner.
- The winner will be notified via email.
This giveaway is part of a blog tour to celebrate the launch of Roses are Blue. For more about Sally Murphy, verse novels and Roses are Blue, check out the other stops on the blog tour:
Tuesday, July 22nd Karen Tyrrell (includes a giveaway)
Wednesday, July 23 Alphabet Soup (includes a giveaway)
Thursday, July 24 Kids’ Book Review
Friday, July 25 Write and read with Dale
Saturday, July 26 Diva Booknerd
Sunday, July 27 Children’s Books Daily
Monday, July 28 Boomerang Books Blog
Tuesday, July 29 Australian Children’s Poetry
Wednesday, July 30 Sally Murphy
1 thought on “Book review: Roses are Blue (+ giveaway)”
Thanks so much for hosting a stop on the blog tour, Rebecca. Please thank Matilda for her lovely review. And what a wonderful idea for a poetry challenge!
Comments are closed.